Tuesday, April 27, 2021
I keep having friends who are going through cancer. It's distressingly frequent. I have 4 friends on social media right now who are going through treatment for breast cancer.
One thing that I notice is that some people are horribly afraid of chemo before they start it. Some of them refuse chemo out of fear -- a treatment that might considerably prolong their lives.
I am often a bit reluctant to share about having had chemo. I'm afraid that acting gigs might discriminate against me if they knew.
I'm realizing that I should share though. I was in chemo twice and I had a positive experience both times. It's not so bad.
The first time I had the carbo-platin/taxol combination. The taxol is what makes you lose your hair. The carbo-platin is what makes you nauseated.
What people don't realize is that there have been huge advances in anti-nausea drugs. I never threw up once during chemo. I had a few instances of breakthrough nausea but I just took some extra ginger or Xofran and I was fine.
I was often fatigued a few days after chemo. Not right after, because they gave me steroids, but 3 and 4 days after. But most of the time I felt fine.
People should be aware that taxol does cause long term nerve damage. Fortunately, it's just some small numb areas in 2 toes on each foot, for me.
The second time I had chemo I had the carbo-platin/doxil combination. To my surprise, neither of these drugs caused hair loss or nerve damage.
Doxil is associated with heart damage, but I seemed to tolerate it alright, at least at the time. I have a slight tachycardia now, but I have reason to believe that that may have been there all along and worsened by my current medication, Zejula. It's well managed by Atenolol.
Again, I had fatigue a few days after chemo, but then I was fine -- and I only had to have these drugs every 4 weeks the second time.
I took selfies when I was bald during the first chemo. I had a lot of fun with being bald, and trying hats and scarves. I wasn't a big fan of wigs. I have a large head and my wig never fit very well. It was nice and warm though.
Anyway, I made up a google photo album of chemo selfies, to show you that I was having a good time with the look. I haven't been willing to throw away those scarves, because they're so beautiful, even though I don't wear them any more.
Here's the link to my google photo album
One of those pictures is with Don McLean after a concert by him. I even got hit on after that concert, because someone liked my headgear with the pearl fringes so much. I didn't take him up on it, but it was flattering.
Thursday, April 22, 2021
Monday, April 19, 2021
Photos of components of the audio system
Monday, April 5, 2021
My sister-in-law in Georgia has given me some additional information about the new Georgia voting laws which give a...Posted by Anne Barschall on Monday, April 5, 2021
Comment on her response by another person
Monday, March 29, 2021
Friday, March 26, 2021
I also got excited about these mushroom photos at one time -- scroll thru
A friend challenged me to identify the most artistic photo that I have taken with my cell phone. Uggh. I've taken *so* many pictures. I did identify some that I thought were artistic. Some are collages of photos that I took at the same time
It seems that chiaroscuro strikes me as artistic
Too bad this first one was with my old phone. The light caught the fountain in an incredible way.
A professional photographer got really excited about the center one in this collage.
Link to the mushroom photos
Some photo editing
It's actually only some of these that I really like, e.g. the panoramas of the pond.
I've taken so many photos of these mountains. This might not really be the best one.
Tuesday, January 19, 2021
News from 2019
(deleted from my ongoing blog and made into a separate post
- 12/21/19 performing with Cherub Improv at the Kessler Rehabilitation Center in West Orange, NJ
- Concert with Bronx County Chorus 12/8/19 4pm, 1st Lutheran Church of Throggs Neck my blog about this concert
- 11/27/19 recording VO for undisclosed commercial https://wavestudios.co.uk/
- 11/23/19 filming "Fate" d S Rego, Brooklyn -- playing Lachesis
- 11/21/19 rehearsing for Fates scene d S Rego
- 11/16/19 sang in outreach concert with Bronx County Chorus at Amber Court Assisted Living Facility, Bronx, NY
- 11/13/19 participated in Magnet Megawatt Mixer, Magnet Theater
- 11/10/19 Cherub performance at NYU Langone was canceled
- 10/17/19 My episode of The Creeping Hour, "Big Shoes," sponsored by #WGBH, drops at https://thecreepinghour.org/ More here https://annebarschall.blogspot.com/2019/10/the-creeping-hour.html
- 10/14/19 assisted in Cherub Improv workshop at Kendal-on-Hudson, Sleepy Hollow, NY, d Jonathan Goldberg
- 9/4/19 performed with Cherub Improv at Gilda's Glub, 195 W Houston, NYC d Evie Aronson
- “Turkeys go on Strike” part of the Dreamup Festival at The Theatre for the New City 8/25 2pm; 8/26 9pm; 8/27 6:30pm; 8/28 9pm; 8/29 9pm; 8/31 8pm; 9/1 5pm -- more information at this link
- 8/15/19 9pm; 8/17/19 1:30 pm; 8/18/19 6:30 pm; "Boy in the Window" by Jones Price Daniels, Hudson Guild Theater (part of Summerfest) more information at this link
- 7/28/19 performed with Cherub Improv at NYC Langone
- 7/9/19 performed in the Megawatt Musical Mixer at the Magnet Theater in NYC
- 7/9/19 recording undisclosed VO gig in NYC
- 6/29/19 6pm Musical Improv Level 2 class show Striker Theater, PIT Theater FB Event Link
- 6/11/19 performed in Magnet Theater musical mixer
- 5/18/19 3pm & 5pm; 5/20/19 1pm played the Guard in "Twelve Angry Women", Alpha NYC, Producer's Club d Elizabeth Aquino
- 5/17/19 attended premier of "Karate Christmas Miracle" at the Hoboken Film festival -- I have a small supporting role in this movie -- just want to congratulate Julie McCullough for an outstanding performance
- 5/14/19 Cherub BBBS workshop d Michelle Francesca Thomas -- at Nickelodeon
- 5/5 4pm Bronx County Chorus, First Lutheran Church of Throggs Neck More info Poor Unfortunate Souls Solo; Narrator solo
- 4/27/19 Outreach concert for Bronx County Chorus Amber court, 1800 Waring Avenue, Pelham manor, N.Y.
- 4/18/19 assisted in Cherub BBBS workshop at American Eagle d Michelle Francesca Thomas
- 4/13/19 filming "Wax Castles of Love" d Amir Royale -- playing elderly astronaut
- 4/8/19 Outreach concert for Bronx County Chorus, Kings Harbor Multicare Center, d. C Aquino Ave 7pm
- 4/7/19 Wizard of Oz -- team B -- Producer's Club 4:25 pm and 5:15 pm
- 3/23/19 filming "Rose (Older)" from "Clock and Life" d. Chengjin Zhuang
- 3/16/19 performed with Cherub Improv at Kessler Rehab, West Orange, NJ d Jonathan Goldberg
- 3/10/19 performed with Cherub Improv at NYU Langone d Evie Aronson
- 2/18/19 participated in an outreach workshop with Cherub Improv at Kendal on Hudson, Sleepy Hollow NY d Jonathan Goldberg
- 2/16/19 Performed with Cherub Improv at Kessler, West Orange, NJ d Jonathan Goldberg
- 2/10/19 Performed with Cherub Improv at NYU Langone d Michael Condon
- 2/6/19 participated in Magnet Megawatt mixer
- 2/5/19 participated in Magnet Musical Mixer
- 1/30/19 and 1/31/19 filming undisclosed commercial in White Plains -- I now have the video for these commercials, which I can share privately, but not on social media. If you want to see them, let me know.
- 1/27/19 Diversity Improv Jam at UCBeast blog here Penultimate Diversity Jam
- 1/19/19 Playing Ms Pyne in filming of "Fallout" d Andrew Greil p Mackensie Orr
- 1/17/19 reception for my art show "Spirals and Loops" at the Borough Park Library, Brooklyn NY This reception goes until Valentine's day. Flyer here Flyer on Instagram
- 1/11/19 performed in "Sleeping Ugly" at Westchester School for Special Needs
- 1/10/19 performed in "Sleeping Ugly" at Cooke Academy
- 1/8/19 performed in Magnet Musical Mixer
Performance courses completed
- Eurhythmics for seniors, with Leslie Purcell Upchurch, Lucy Moses School of Music
- 2/2/19 Misha Calvert Actor's Connection
- 11/10/19 Cherub Improv Rehearsal
- September 2019 -- Diversity Training at Central Casting (online course)
- 10/6/19 Costar Festival at Paul Michael's The Network featuring Joanne Levenger and Kimberly Graham
- Musical Improv II 5/9/19-6/29/19 PIT Theater, Katie Hammond instructor
- 6/11/19 Dance class with James T. Lane
- 3/22/19 Dance Class with James T. Lane
- 3/21/19 Voiceover Class with Lisa Fischoff at https://www.thenetworknyc.com/
- 3/20/19 Scene Class with Allison Kirschner at https://www.thenetworknyc.com/
- 4/16/19-6/22/19 Cortelyou bBranch of Brooklyn Public library flyer
- 3/5/19-4/5/19 Mapleton branch of Brooklyn Public Library flyer
- 1/15/19-2/28/19 Borough Park branch of Brooklyn Public Library flyer revised flyer
- My art blog http://annebarschall.blogspot.com/2018/09/artwork.html
Shows & Media consumed this year
- Plays and musicals: "Kiss Me Kate" 5/14/19 Studio 54 Theater, "Aladdin" 3/30/19 New Amsterdam Theater; "My Fair Lady" 2/27/19 Lincoln Center Theater
- albums or singles bought recently: "Dive Bar Saints" by Home Free; "Velvet: Side A" by Adam Lambert; "Glam Nation" by Adam Lambert; One single by Dimash, 5 Singles by Adam Lambert; "Too Darn Hot" featuring James T Lane, Jonathan Young "Villains," Jackie Evancho "The Debut," Hosier "Wasteland, Baby," Avi Kaplan "Change on the Rise," Adam Lambert "Original High" album, Adam Lambert "Feel Something," Rag 'n' Bone Man "Human" album, Conchita Wurst "From Vienna With Love,"
- film festival: "Love in Kilnerry" Soho Film Festival, this was a great movie. More info; "It Takes a Lunatic" Tribeca Film Festival lunatic selfie 1 lunatic selfie 2; "Karate Christmas Miracle" Hoboken International Film Festival (I'm in this movie)
- movies seen in theaters recently: Frozen II, A Beautiful Day in the Neighborhood, Maleficent 2, Moonstones by Nicola Rose, Dark Phoenix, Alita Battle Angel, Captain Marvel, Josh Groban MSG Concert Movie (better sound than the original), How to Train Your Dragon 3, Mary Poppins returns, Aquaman, Spiderman into the Spiderverse
- Also have NY philharmonic subscription
- Concerts & Live Shows attended: Josh Groban MSG 6/15/19; Chris Isaak 7/28/19 The Paramount, Long Island; Queen & Adam Lambert MSG 8/7/19; Igor Krutoy 10/26/19 Barclays Center; Julie Reumert Weill Concert Hall 11/8/19, Greyson Chance 11/9/19 Sony Hall, Home Free 11/10/19 Town Hall Theatre; Dimash 12/10/19 Barclays Center; Adam Lamber 12/15/19 Foxwoods, NY Theater Ballet "Nutcracker" 12/22/19 Tarrytown Music Hall
- 11/13/19 Fall One Day Program, NYIPLA
- 9/16/19 "How Leadership Can Create Diversity and Inclusion in the Legal Profession" United CLE online
- 9/12/19 "Hot Topics in Copyright Law" United CLE online
- 7/5/19 "Ethical Considerations of Clergy Confidentiality" -- United CLE online
- 6/10/19 Borderline Personality Disorder: Pre-Plea and Pre-sentence Criminal Mitigation Strategies -- United CLE online
- 5/20/19 "The Cutting Edge of Cryptocurrency" sponsored by the Dartmouth Lawyers Association, Dartmouth Club of NY, and Women of Dartmouth, at Akin Gump Strauss Hauer & Feld LLP
- 5/13/19 "Owners Agreements for Start-ups and Relatively New Companies" United CLE online
- JPPCLE 5/2/19 Crowne Plaza Times Square, NYC
- 4/18/19 "Top 10 Things You Should Tell Your Startup Client" United CLE online
- TSI Symposium: China, the U.S., and Global Trade Secrets Enforcement; Brooklyn Law School 3/27/18
- filed amicus brief with SCOTUS in favor of petition for certiorari in InvestPIC v SAP